Dated: 25 June 2014
Original source (Arabic): http://jawabna.com/index.php/permalink/7500.html
Translation starts here:
Statement from His Excellency Sayid al-Qaid Muqtada al-Sadr (may God preserve him) to the beloved people of Iraq 24th June 2014
In the name of the Almighty.
All know that I have tried a lot to support Islamic and national unity within Iraq, and I am always working to undermine all efforts to destabilise the sectarian security and peaceful coexistence amongst the sects. However, the abuses in the name of the sect, from here and there, are increasing, and the project of Islamic and national unity has become very difficult, especially after the intervention of the ferocious monsters, the terrorists and cutters of necks, who imposed their control through terrorism and intimidation on the Sunnis and their clear abuse of the Shi’a with irrational hatred, without adherence to the laws of Islam, and also after the intervention of the impudent Shi’a militias against the Sunnis of Iraq in a manner which is unsatisfactory to the intelligence and the wise.
For so long, I have tried to bring the sects together, have prayed behind them and sought to meet their demands (I mean the moderate Sunnis), and save them from the ideas following the ominous trinity of the terrorist organisations, but there was no response from them at all, except for a few things that were timid and did not rise to what was required.
The situation has come to pass that the moderate Sunnis of Iraq are under the influence of what purports to be Sunnism, and the Shi’a of Iraq are under the influence of unjust ideas, seeking personal interest not the doctrinal, or Islamic, or national interest. So our project has gone unheeded, and Islamic and national unity has fallen under the weight of the internecine conflict which will have no victor, for even the victor will be a loser in the end.
Despite all this, and in addition to what we have done in terms of the military demonstration to prove to all our preparedness to fight, they (by which I mean the Jews of the nation) are aware of our courage and our might for we have made them taste the fire of our weapons, and on the other hand, our prudence and the depth of our faith, the righteousness of our beliefs when they were a tool of the West in their aggression against beloved Samara and its sanctity.
So all are aware of our readiness in numbers and power to defend the holy sites, not for a specific sect, or a government, or some other foolishness. For we went out like Imam Hussein (peace be upon him) to demand reform, and before we went out to demand unity and reform, and we will go out requiring the public interest as in our covenants and we will shake the ground under the feet of the ignorant and the extremists, just as we shook the ground under the feet of the occupation.
So, a final effort [must be attempted], especially as we are on the threshold of the holy month of Ramadan. Some will view it as a desperate effort, others will see it as an effort born dead. Nevertheless, we must try to spare Iraq the dire consequences of this internecine war through the following points:
- Ending the killing and terrorising of civilians.
- The government must pledge to address the peaceful and legitimate demands of the moderate Sunnis of Iraq.
- Expediting the formation of a new national government with new faces from all the parties and rejecting quotas and sectarianism.
- Unified condemnation from Sunnis and Shi’is of Iraq of the terrorist organisations from wherever they are, which will be a pact and covenant amongst them.
- To confirm: terrorist and Ba’athist organisations, are forbidden and haram in this dialogue, for they are refused by all. This does not mean the exclusion of the Sunnis, or those afraid of these titles.
- The foreign parties, especially the forces of the occupier and the regional states, must lift their hands from intervention in Iraq and its internal affairs.
- The provision of international support from countries other than the occupiers to the Iraqi army to ensure the continuation of the fight against terrorism and its ultimate defeat.
- Do not throw the impudent militias into this war for they will lead to the fragmentation of Iraq and the destabilising of its security.